Especially in cooler winter weather, cooked fruit with gentle heating spices is easier to digest and warming for the body. It’s best to use local seasonal fruit if at all possible.
4 apples (cooking or eating apples)
1 inch ginger, grated
1 teaspoon cinnamon
4 medjool dates (remove stones and chop)
Rice syrup, maple syrup or local honey to taste (optional)
- Peel and chop the apples and add to a non-stick pan with just a couple of cm of water.
- Bring to simmer with the lid on and then add the ginger and cinnamon.
- Gently stir, add the dates.
- Keep simmering for 20 minutes, with a lid on. Stir occasionally throughout.
- Check everything is nicely cooked and serve warm. It should be sweet enough with the dates, if not you can stir in some rice syrup, maple syrup or local honey.